Sunday 3 July 2016

Minecraft - Bamaland - City


Here is the city we created in the Bamaland Minecraft map. We figured you can't play around in a creative map without building a city.

I had a lot of fun working on this city. It would be much bigger than it is had we not moved on to the Survival server (and never looked back). I was quite frustrated with some of the Xbox limitations when it comes to decorating the interior of these buildings, but what can you do.


I am going to give a breakdown of all the buildings in the order they were built. The mine cart tracks running through the city are functional and lead from the Train Station:


I wanted to flag two things before I get into this breakdown:

1) I do not take credit for the outer design of 99% of the buildings in this city. I got a lot of inspiration from other Minecraft players, as well as real life. Here are just some of the photos I used for inspiration:


2) While I did create the majority of this city, there were a few structures that I did not work on. This statue and these two buildings were not designed/created my myself so I will not be covering them:



The Grand Business Tower: I wanted to challenge myself from the start. This ended up being the biggest building I created in the city, which took the most time to construct:


I left the majority of the floors empty, but I did create a vine elevator with exits on every floor. The top floor has a private CEO bedroom with rooftop access:


Zebra Tower: This building took the least amount of time to build. I think I got bored half way through, so I never designed the inside:


Downtown Living: I had too much fun working on this building! I modeled this off of every apartment you see in major cities - stores on the ground level, small apartments on the upper levels. The ground level has a grocery store,  blacksmith and a restaurant:


Between the shops are entrances leading to the two sides of the tower. Each of the sides are almost identical in the base structure, but each room has it's own unique design:


The very top floor on the yellow side is not an apartment, but is an artists studio:


Green side:


The top floor of the green side is a public washroom. This is one of just two washrooms in the city - I probably should have made more, but meh:


Misc. Minecraft pretty:


Gemini Towers - Glass towers are pretty!


I designed each tower so the floors are the similar on both sides. The main floor looks a little silly now as I had designed it to be a art gallery. The problem is this building was built using the Default  Texture Pack. We changed it over to the City Texture Pack and all of the nice art changed to TVs and wine racks. These really don't work now, but there aren't enough art pictures available in this Texture Pack to make it work - so I just left it as it was.

The second floor is a milk bar. Third floors are more art:


The next several floors are empty. The very top floors are high end restaurants:


More misc. Minecraft pretty:


Zen Offices: I wanted to make a tower with a tree growing in the middle. It works out well that the tree sits in a Snowy Biome; snow will build up on the leaves, but never make it to the ground:


The ground floor has reception desks and entrance into the garden:


All other floors are completely designed. The majority of floors are filled with desks and computers:


The top of the stairs is the management offices: Director of Mining, Director of Crafting, Vice President and President. Every office has it's own secretary and the offices are separated by a boardroom and file storage room:


The file storage room has a lever which opens a hidden doorway. This leads to the secret attic where there is a full apartment along with a chemistry lab:


Have I mentioned how pretty Minecraft is?


Sky Disco: This dance club took a lot of time to build. The outside and inside went up quickly, but a lot of time was spent creating the flashing dance floor:


This is one of the few buildings I created without referencing any other works for inspiration. I hadn't planned on building this here, but on of the kids in this server decided to build a Tardas in the city. I am very pro Doctor Who and pro kids building and learning in Minecraft. I couldn't get rid of this work that the kids had put time into, so I compromised and built this tower around the Tardas. I wanted to kids to be able to play still, so I left a hidden doorway under the stairs that leads to the Tardas:


The club has a bar surrounded by the flashing dance floor. There is one section of the club closed off in a VIP section with there own private bar:


I let the glass blocks extend over the side so you could look down over the city:

 

<3:


Organic Offices: I needed to make sure this city could survive a zombie apocalypse, so I made a inner city garden. I did fill in all floors, but I really didn't put that much effort into it:


My main focus was this fun rooftop garden:


City Condos: I had built a ton of commercial building, so I figured I should build some more residential. I decided to go a bit more high class and made a sleek condo:


The ground floor is a classic city restaurant with way too many seats and pretty much nowhere to walk:


The upper floors are all accessed through the vine elevator. I designed about half of the floors. I left the others blank so the kids could put in their own design (they wanted to design rooms, but didn't want to take the time to put up the building):


Pride Library: This was one of my favourite builds in this city!


I designed each floor to be similar, yet different from floor to floor:


The top floor has a ladder heading to the attic where there is a hidden bedroom:


Even more misc. Minecraft pretty:


Ocean View Tower: This was the last building I worked on and is unfortunately incomplete. I have filled in the base for each floor and ensured everything is well lit, but I haven't filled in everything completely or added any design elements:


Boardwalk and Beaches: The waterfront features a boardwalk. The boardwalk goes over the main highway and features a little food cart / food court. The boardwalk starts near the Gemini Towers and ends at the other side of the city in the Beach:



That's it! I haven't worked in this map for almost 2 years, so I doubt I will ever be going back in to finish anything or add any more building. But I will post an update if I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment